Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Que Sera Sera

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

When we were little, my Mom actually used to sing to us. Actually, she still does. She always has a song in her heart. So does my Dad (although his tone is not quite there, his heart is all in it). When he is happy, he will sing at the top of his lungs and actually skip. Is is so fun to see them two of them when they are in a good mood, which usually involves children, act like children. But as children, and even as adults, we are so obsessed with the future. That old saying 99% of what you worry about never happens, and yet, we still do it. Or at least, I still do it. I find myself worrying more lately than I should. I worry about what the future holds. I worry about where my life is taking me. I worry about whether a meeting or a lesson will go well (well, not really, but I should). I worry more about personal stuff like life and love. But, I try not to, because I can't control it. And funny thing is, when I do try, it kind of unravels a little. When I let go, it comes together. Why must the simple be so complicated? In fact, on a side note, I considered writing about Valentine's day, but nixed that quite quickly when I realized I pretty much hate Valentine's Day. I would say that it is because I am not mushy (in general, I am not). I would say it is because I am cynical (in general, I am). I would say it is because everyone around me is all lovey dovey, which is as annoying as well...anything (cynicism rearing its ugly head again). But, honestly, it is probably because it has been a bit of a disappointment every single year, well, for as long as I can remember. So something simple like Valentine's Day, a day to celebrate love and friendship and the color red and chocolate is suddenly this big flashing "Stop light" (thanks to our ASB for this analogy-really?) of complex meanings. Because I make it that way! Yes, I do! I over analyze and pick everything apart. If you know me at all, you know I do this, and you tell me to stop. This, while making me an excellent giver of logical advice, makes my head spin about simple things like Valentine's Day and complex things like the FUTURE... But, perhaps, there is some truth in the song we all know, because sometimes the living is in the letting go.

When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be
And.... (hit play here)

.

4 comments:

  1. this video almost made me cry. how many hours have we spent around that piano singing and dancing. i love that our parents taught us to love music and live music. stop analyzing and enjoy the music and let the dance lead you. love you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- singing, yes we all love singing. Love the short one you posted- how many hours have we spent like this over the years?
    I often listen to the cd you sang as teenagers. I love them, but the "pastness" of the memories make me cry. When you were all young, I used to write you songs of my favorite verses to sing to you so you could remember the words...I wrote many. Do you remember any now? One song you all sang when you were young, I have been thinking about this week, especially when I was at the beach yesterday with my little grandkids... It is a simple one, but the truth of it has adult significance. I'm sure you remember it.
    V1 The wise man built his house upon the rock (3x) and rains came tumbling down, the rains came down the the floods came up (3x) and the house on the rock stood firm.
    V2 The foolish man built his house upon the sand (3x) and the rains came tumbling down. The rains came down and the floods came up (3x) and the house on the sand went smash....
    V3 So build your life on the Lord Jesus Christ (3x) and the blessing will come down.. the blessings will come down as the prayers go up (3x) so your life on the Lord.

    I love your reminiscing- helps me remember things I treasure. I treasure you. Thanks you for writing- refreshing.
    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a good memory. next time we need you in the movie, singing along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when Anajuli says stop analyzing and enjoy the music. I think as women many of us choose to analyze everything as it is in our nature to do so - which does give us great insight into who we are and why we react in certain ways...but the real question is are we enjoying the music in our every day lives? Or are we spending too much time analyzing it and missing the enjoyment out of the simple and important moments in life?

    ReplyDelete